[agents] Embedding AI in Society (Online Symposium)

Munindar Singh mpsingh at ncsu.edu
Fri Nov 6 20:45:38 EST 2020

Call for Abstracts

Rabb Symposium on Embedding AI in Society

Seeking Presentations for Free Online Symposium

[Update:Special Issue of AI & Society on Embedding AI in Society.
Details below.]

Artificial Intelligence (AI) is a pervasive part of our lives. From
autonomous vehicles and AI personal assistants to computer-assisted
surgery and automated trading systems, we are relying on AI to help us
make decisions and manage our personal and professional activities. In
all these cases, AI promises improvements in productivity and safety.
But AI does not operate in a vacuum. Given its integration into our
daily lives and social institutions, AI is directly shaping
socioeconomic structures and affecting the lives of many individual
citizens in profound and often unpredictable ways. AI systems have the
potential to reach deeply into our lives, affecting not just our
productivity and safety but also our autonomy and dignity. In
recognition of this vast potential for good and evil, we have organized
a multidisciplinary symposium aimed at developing a deeper and more
holistic understanding of how AI will and should alter society.

We invite submissions of extended abstracts up to 1500 words for our
online symposium on Embedding AI in Society, part of the R. L. Rabb
Science and Society Symposium series at North Carolina State
University.Researchers from any discipline whose work relates to the
social, political, and ethical dimensions of AI are invited to submit
extended abstracts. The focus can be on conceptual or empirical work.
Four themes are of particular interest:

  *

    Integrating ethics into AI decision making

  *

    Safety with and from AI systems

  *

    Providing transparency and respecting user privacy in data analysis

  *

    The future of employment in the age of AI

We interpret these themes broadly to include many types of applications
of AI across multiple domains, including but not limited to autonomous
vehicles, healthcare robots, policing algorithms, and AI personal
assistants.

We are pleased to have the following keynote speakers join us at the
symposium:

  *

    Joanna Bryson(Professor of Ethics and Technology, Hertie School)

  *

    Sylvester Johnson (Professor and Director of the Center for
    Humanities, Virginia Tech)

  *

    Benjamin Kuipers (Professor of Computer Science and Engineering,
    University of Michigan)

  *

    Frank Pasquale (Professor of Law, Brooklyn Law School)