[Csmatters] Fwd: NDP internships in tech/computing for WIN program

CS Matters in Maryland csmattersinmaryland at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 17:37:59 EST 2018

FYI...
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Boser, Katharina <BoserK at notredameprep.com>
Date: Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 3:22 PM
Subject: NDP internships in tech/computing for WIN program
To: "csmattersinmaryland at gmail.com" <csmattersinmaryland at gmail.com>
Cc: "Mantler, Barbara" <MantlerB at notredameprep.com>

Dear CS Matters staff,
This summer I participated in the CS Matters AP CS summer teacher course
for two weeks on the UMD campus run by Jan Plane (and others). I appreciate
receiving information about opportunities you offer throughout the year. I
am writing to your generic email address in the hopes that one of you may
have an idea for computing internships for high school students this
summer. As I mentioned in the course, I started this year at NDP((Notre
Dame Prep), an all-girls Middle and High school in Towson. I am the new
director of Computer Science and teach the classes in the CS program, among
other things.

I'm writing today to ask you for recommendations for possible
computing/technology internships or even 'shadow' days that our students
can participate in over the summer to learn more about tech careers,
particularly with women in tech (such as your women in computing program).
We have a program called WIN (see attached brochure for an idea of what it
looks like and what students do) that provides career-related opportunities
for our students.

There seem to be a lot of experiences in law, medicine/health and
finance/business and several in the hard sciences and even the arts but few
in computing/tech as it is a really new program here. We are looking for,
not only single or two-day "shadow" opportunities but also week-long (or
longer) unpaid internships where students can roll up their sleeves a bit
to get a sense of the job.

Let me know if you can think of a possible opportunity for our HS girls and
what that might look like. If interested, we have an online survey for you
or one of your staff to fill out to get in our system for the girls to
check out and see if they’re interested.

I’m including Barbara Mantler, our WIN program coordinator, in this email
so she can discuss further questions you might have and to see if your
opportunity is a good fit.

Thanks again for your help (see attached)

Best wishes,
Katharina

Dr. Katharina Boser
UL Computer Science Program Coordinator
ML Technology and Innovative Design Teacher
Notre Dame Preparatory, Towson, MD