[Csmatters] Fwd: [Google CS education] Join the CS educator online summit; 2018 grant applications now open

Megean Garvin megeangarvin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 13:54:09 EST 2017

Should we apply for next year too?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Katia Naffa <knaffa at google.com>
Date: Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 1:52 PM
Subject: [Google CS education] Join the CS educator online summit; 2018
grant applications now open
To: megeangarvin at gmail.com

Hello CS education supporters!

The moment has finally arrived! Applications for the 2018 CS educator PD
grants <http://g.co/csedugrants> are now open. To celebrate our tenth
anniversary of CS PD funding, we’re excited to announce that beginning this
year, we are expanding applications to include professional development
programs for middle and high school teachers as well as  pre-service
educators in the 2018 grant year.

Throughout the past 10 years, our CS Educator grant PD program (formerly
known as CS4HS) has funded close to $13 million dollars in grants
supporting educator PD in computer science education globally. As we
continue to invest in educators and the necessary CS PD support needed, our
website <http://g.co/csedugrants> and online presence will reflect our
commitment to all educators, now and in the future.

Stay tuned over the next few months as we feature insights to help you
build a successful 2018 application. You’ll hear from the Google team,
grantees and other organizations committed to providing exemplary CS PD in
their local communities.

PARTICIPATE IN THE FIRST EVER GOOGLE CS EDUCATOR ONLINE SUMMIT

We’re excited to debut Google’s first-ever online event for CS
educators on Saturday,
December 16th from 10 AM - 2 PM PT (+8 GMT) on the Google for Education
YouTube channel <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt84aUC9OG6di8kSdKzEHTQ>.
During the “Building Pathways to Teaching Computer Science” event, K-12
educators, school districts and academics will learn how to integrate CS
and CT into their classrooms. Tune into the event live
<https://goo.gl/GKVLis>.

Speakers include: Maggie Johnson, Vice President of Education and
University Programs at Google, Deborah Seehorn, Interim Director of
CSTA, Richard
Culatta, Executive Director of ISTE and many more.

APPLICATION TIPS AND TRICKS

Follow these steps to get started with your 2018 application:

Confirm your eligibility: Funding is available to universities and
education nonprofits dedicated to providing exemplary computer science
professional development for teachers.

Build your PD program: Use the application companion <https://goo.gl/WgJFCA>
as you design a localized PD program.

Submit your application: Apply here
<https://cseduapplication.withgoogle.com/applications/educatorgrantsusca2018/create_application/edit>.
Funding decisions will be announced in early April 2018.

Join the ongoing conversation about CS professional development: Tune into
the ongoing video series on our YouTube channel and visit the Google+
community <https://goo.gl/7TjmXE> to learn tips and tricks from previous
grantees.

ADVICE FROM A GRANTEE

Meet Dr. Lisa Milenkovic, the STEM and Computer Science Supervisor for Broward
County Public Schools <http://browardschools.com/Home> (BCPS), the
sixth-largest school district in the nation and the second largest in
Florida. As a 2017 grantee, Milenkovic developed an online PD course to
help educators achieve state certification in Florida for teaching CS.
“When you’re starting a new initiative like building a computer science
program, you don’t have formal departments, or methods for teachers to
interact with one another,” she says. “You need to help teachers build up
their peer network.” The CS certification course and face-to-face mentoring
funded by Google’s grant builds CS teaching expertise in the district,
increasing the availability of CS classes district-wide. Learn more
about Lisa’s
PD journey <https://goo.gl/aLNmsV> for educators in Broward County Public
Schools

We look forward to growing CS educator PD in 2018 together! Please reach
out to our team if you have any questions or comments (
CSedugrants at google.com).

Kindly yours,

Olga and the CS education Google team

© 2017 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1600+Amphitheatre+Parkway,+Mountain+View,+CA+94043&entry=gmail&source=g>

If you wish to no longer receive these emails, click here to unsubscribe
<CSeduGrants at google.com?subject=Please%20Unsubscribe>.

--
Megean Garvin, Ph.D.