[Csmatters] Maryland Computing Education Summit Plans

Dianne O'Grady-Cunniff mrsdianneoc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 17:13:40 EST 2018

I also want to have a session on developing regional support partnerships
and get groups together that have expressed an interest in hosting events
and being cheerleaders/leaders in the different areas around the state for
the teachers in their area. After talking with a number of successful rural
districts around the country, the common topic that emerged is the value of
having local, regional experts to support teachers (invite them to lunch
and to meet each other and the college CS majors, competitions, hackathons,
Scratch meetups/EdCamps and PD)

Out west we have Garrett County and Frostberg U. Also Hood College is
hosting code.org and has done other k-12 teacher events in the past
Out east we have Salisbury U, University of Washington, Talbot County and
Worcester county who have expressed an interest in hosting events and
reaching out to other in their area
Down south we have St. Mary's college & Charles County
Centrally we have our usual core of UM BC, College park, Anne Arundel CC,
PGCC and Howard and Montgomery Counties have resources and have hosted
events.
In Baltimore City we have Code in the Schools and Digital Harbor

We put in a Google CSTA grant application to help bring more teachers in
from the remote areas to the summit so it would be great if they could meet
each other as well as their local support systems to do some brainstorming
on what they want and need most to start with.

Dianne

--
Dianne O'Grady-Cunniff
Acting Director, Maryland Center for Computing Education