[Csmatters] Fwd: [Googel CS education] Join the YouTube Live session on Feb 14; Meet the team at SIGCSE; Apply for a 2018 grant

Megean Garvin megeangarvin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 13:53:55 EST 2018

FYI...
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Olga at Google CS edu <CSedugrants at google.com>
Date: Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 1:47 PM
Subject: [Googel CS education] Join the YouTube Live session on Feb 14;
Meet the team at SIGCSE; Apply for a 2018 grant
To: megeangarvin at gmail.com

Hello CS education supporters!

CS education flourishes when there is a system in place for teachers,
administrators, district officials, state policy makers, and PD
practitioners working together to provide high quality CS education for
their students. We are constantly keeping a pulse on the CS education
landscape and pivoting our resources, as needed, to meet the most pressing
needs of educators. This month we will explore how PD opportunities can
impact these underserved CS communities. We’ll also look at how more
experienced CS communities can support underserved communities.

We’re excited to accept applications for professional development programs
focused on building CS capacity for middle and high school teachers as well
as pre-service educators in the 2018 grant year.

*Applications are open <https://goo.gl/7vnGJB> now through March 2nd!*

------------------------------

* BUILD A COMPETITIVE APPLICATION - JOIN THE FEB YOUTUBE LIVE DISCUSSION*

Are you a first time PD provider or a first time applicant? Are you curious
about what Google looks for when reviewing applications? Or what kinds of
PD resources are available to you to build a PD program?

Join this month’s YouTube Live discussion on Thursday, February 14th from
10:30- 11:30 AM PST <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Qd6rAqQ5A> with the
CS educator PD grants team. You’ll learn best practices when designing a PD
program and what we look for in funded PD programs. We’ll also provide
insights into our research and evaluations processes that helped inform our
latest submission to the annual conference for Research On Equity and
Sustained Participation in Computing, Engineering and Technology
<http://respect2018.stcbp.org/>.

Watch last month’s YouTube Live session here
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuv8eX1mFPM> to learn more about 2018
eligibility and our research from the 2016-2017 award year or check
out the slide
deck
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1KXCjeSZ_H0A-0TpZur975exaqFVvh6vFIAPLfoPWDSQ/edit?usp=sharing>
 presentation.

------------------------------

*MEET THE TEAM AT SIGCSE <https://sigcse2018.sigcse.org/> FROM FEB 21 - 24,
2018 *
Later this month the Google team will be at the SIGCSE
<https://sigcse2018.sigcse.org/> and RESPECT <http://respect2018.stcbp.org/>
 conferences in Baltimore, Maryland. Stop by Google’s booth #309 or join
one our sessions below.

We’ll host a lively discussion on *Thursday, February 22 at 5:30pm EST in
Room 303* during our Birds of a Feather session exploring opportunities and
challenges in providing CS K-12 professional development at scale. During
RESPECT <http://respect2018.stcbp.org/accepted-papers/>, we’ll present a
paper <https://goo.gl/cVH69q> of findings from our yearly evaluation
research about educators that attend PD opportunities supported by Google’s
CS educator PD grants.

------------------------------

*KEY FINDINGS FROM OUR RESPECT 2018 PAPER SUBMISSION
<https://goo.gl/cVH69q> *
It’s critical that CS PD options and outcomes are evaluated to ensure
educators’ needs are met, otherwise equity gaps in CS education could be
worsened. Comparing three years of data from 2014 through 2016, we’ve
learned:

Computer Science professional development should be co-designed with the
target educators: CS PD produces better outcomes when it’s mapped to the
local needs, goals, and constraints of the participating educators and
their school systems.

More educators with less CS teaching experience requires an emphasis on CS
education fundamentals: quality CS subject matter knowledge, pedagogical
content knowledge, and project-based learning that’s mapped to local
curriculum will ensure students receive quality learning experiences while
educators weather the evolving CS landscape.

Read the full experience paper <https://goo.gl/cVH69q>, and visit us in
Baltimore to learn more!
------------------------------

*ADVICE FROM A GRANTEE *
Meet, Jiang Li, associate professor of Computer Science at Quincy
University. Li is dedicated to promoting CS education and has been
successful in identifying CS PD needs in his rural tri-state (IL-MO-IA)
community. As a Grantee since 2016, Jiang shares his advice for aspiring CS
PD applicants: “Collaborate with local/regional school districts, and other
CS education organizations. Learn from other successful PD events and think
about sustainability and scalability.”

Learn more about Jiang Li’s experience <https://goo.gl/EUrSHG> as a CS
advocate at Quincy University and his tips for those who want to bring PD
to their communities.
------------------------------

*Remember to apply <https://goo.gl/7vnGJB> for a CS PD grant* before March
2nd. *To learn more about exemplary PD programs and learn from previous
Grantees, visit the Grantee resources page on our website. Please reach out
to our team if you have any questions or comments (CSedugrants at google.com).

Kindly yours,

Olga and the Google CS education team

**To be eligible for a grant you must be affiliated with a research
institution, university, or educational nonprofit such as a professional
development organization, school district or local offices of education.*

© 2018 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1600+Amphitheatre+Parkway,+Mountain+View,+CA+94043&entry=gmail&source=g>

If you wish to no longer receive these emails, click here to unsubscribe
<https://goo.gl/QoqsFe>.

[image: https://goo.gl/7TjmXE] <https://goo.gl/7TjmXE>  [image:
https://goo.gl/GYVkw8] <https://goo.gl/GYVkw8>

--