[CSEE Talk] talk: Rethinking the Cloud for Next-generation Applications, 11am 3/21 UMBC

Tim Finin finin at cs.umbc.edu
Thu Mar 17 09:15:59 EDT 2016

                         UMBC CSEE Seminar

       Rethinking the Cloud for Next-generation Applications

               Tian Guo, University of Massachusetts
              11:00am Monday,21 March 2016, ITE325b

Today’s cloud platforms serve an increasing number of requests
from millions of mobile users. This mobile workload introduces
new challenges and workload dynamics that differ from traditional
workloads. In the future, billions of Internet-of-Things (IoT)
devices will connect to cloud platforms and compete for cloud
resources. Current cloud platforms are agnostic to the type of
end-devices and are not well suited to emerging application
needs. My work argues that these trends require a rethinking of
current cloud platforms and focuses on the challenges of handling
the dynamics introduced by these next-generation applications.

In this talk, I will describe two aspects of cloud design:
handling demand-side dynamics from emerging cloud workloads and
handling supply-side dynamics from varying cloud platform
resources. Specifically, I will describe model-driven mechanisms
to optimize user-perceived performance for global workloads that
exhibit spatial variations, and mechanisms to effectively support
running applications on transient servers—servers with
unpredictable availability. Finally, I will conclude my talk with
future work in cloud research to handle emerging mobile and IoT
applications.

Tian Guo (http://tianguo.info/) is a Ph.D. student in the College
of Information and Computer Sciences at University of
Massachusetts Amherst. Her research interests include distributed
systems, cloud computing, mobile computing and cloud-enabled
IoTs. Her current focus is on handling dynamics introduced by new
cloud workloads and emerging cloud platforms. She received her
B.E. in Software Engineering from Nanjing University, China in
2010 and her M.S. in Computer Science from University of
Massachusetts Amherst in 2013.