[CSEE Talk] talk: Establishment of Trust and Integrity in Modern Supply Chains, 11:30 Thur 2/25

Tim Finin finin at cs.umbc.edu
Mon Feb 22 08:04:01 EST 2016

      Establishment of Trust and Integrity in Modern Supply Chains

                 Ujjwal Guin, University of Connecticut
               11:30 Thursday, 25 February 2016, ITE325b

With the advent of globalization and resulting horizontal integration,
the modern supply chain becomes extremely complex and requires
immediate solutions for eliminating counterfeit integrated circuits
(ICs), which pose a serious threat to the safety and security of our
day-to-day lives. The reliability of such ICs could be questionable as
they may have many defects and might not go through as much of a
rigorous test process as their authentic counterparts. An adversary
can also create a backdoor to bypass the security modules in these
ICs.  In this research, I have systematically addressed the
aforementioned issues by risk analysis and assessment of test methods,
and by proposing different Design-for-Anti-Counterfeit (DfAC)
measures.  As a part of risk analysis, I have developed taxonomies for
counterfeit IC types, counterfeit defects, and test methods. Based on
these taxonomies, I have introduced novel test metrics and developed a
comprehensive framework for assessing a set of test methods to
maximize test coverage. In the DfAC domain, I have proposed a suite of
solutions to detect counterfeit ICs without performing conventional
tests. A set of lightweight negative-bias temperature instability
(NBTI)-aware ring oscillators (ROs) have been developed for combating
die and IC recycling. In addition, I have developed a comprehensive
solution for preventing intellectual property piracy and IC
overproduction by assuring forward trust between all entities involved
in the system-on-chip design and fabrication process.

Ujjwal Guin is a PhD candidate at the Electrical and Computer
Engineering department of University of Connecticut, where he has been
working with Dr. Mark M. Tehranipoor.  His current research interests
include Hardware Security and Trust, Supply Chain Security,
Cybersecurity, and VLSI Design and Test. Mr. Guin received his
B.E. degree from the Department of Electronics and Telecommunication
Engineering of Bengal Engineering and Science University, Howrah,
India in 2004 and the M.Sc. degree in Electrical and Computer
Engineering from Temple University in 2010.

  -- more information and directions: https://bit.ly/UMBCtalks --