[CSEE Talk] talk: Prof. Amit Sheth on Transforming Big Data into Smart Data, 11am Tue May 26

Tim Finin finin at cs.umbc.edu
Sun May 17 14:51:17 EDT 2015

              Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
               Univerisity of Maryland, Baltimore COunty

  Transforming big data into smart data: deriving value via harnessing
      volume, variety & velocity using semantics and semantic web

                               Amit Sheth
                        Wright State University

              11:00am Tuesday, 26 May 2015, ITE 325, UMBC

Big Data has captured a lot of interest in industry, with the emphasis
on the challenges of the four Vs of Big Data: Volume, Variety,
Velocity, and Veracity, and their applications to drive value for
businesses.  In this talk, I will describe Smart Data that is realized
by extracting value from Big Data, to benefit not just large companies
but each individual. If my child is an asthma patient, for all the
data relevant to my child with the four V-challenges, what I care
about is simply, "How is her current health, and what are the risk of
having an asthma attack in her current situation (now and today),
especially if that risk has changed?" As I will show, Smart Data that
gives such personalized and actionable information will need to
utilize multimodal data and their metadata, use domain specific
knowledge, employ semantics and intelligent processing, and go beyond
traditional reliance on Machine Learning and NLP.  I will motivate the
need for a synergistic combination of techniques similar to the close
interworking of the top brain and the bottom brain in the cognitive
models. I will present a couple of Smart Data applications in
development at Kno.e.sis (http://knoesis.org) from the domains of
personalized health, health informatics, social data for social good,
energy, disaster response, and smart city.

Amit Sheth is an Educator, Researcher and Entrepreneur. He is the
LexisNexis Ohio Eminent Scholar, an IEEE Fellow, and the executive
director of Kno.e.sis-the Ohio Center of Excellence in
Knowledge-enabled Computing a Wright State University. In World Wide
Web (WWW), it is placed among the top ten universities in the world
based on 10-yr impact (http://j.mp/www-Jun14). Prof. Sheth is a well
cited computer scientists (h-index = 87, >30,000 citations), and
appears among top 1-3 authors in World Wide Web (Microsoft Academic
Search). He has founded two companies, and several commercial products
and deployed systems have resulted from his research. His students are
exceptionally successful; ten out of 18 past PhD students have 1,000+
citations each.