[CSEE Talk] talk: Translational Bioinformatics Approaches to Evaluate and Implement Genomic Medicine, 1pm 4/25, UMBC

Tim Finin finin at cs.umbc.edu
Thu Apr 17 23:45:18 EDT 2014

              Computer Science and Electrical Engineering

               TRANSLATIONAL BIOINFORMATICS APPROACHES TO
            EVALUATE AND IMPLEMENT GENOMIC MEDICINE PROGRAMS

                 Dr. Casey Overby, Assistant Professor
             Program for Personalized and Genomic Medicine
                   University of Maryland - Baltimore

              1:00pm Friday, 25 April 2014, ITE 325b, UMBC

There is a growing evidence base to support the use of many genomic
applications in healthcare. There are, however, several barriers to
healthcare providers making use of genomic data and information on a
routine basis. In this talk, I will describe some of our challenges
and successes with implementing genomic medicine programs within the
Program for Personalized and Genomic Medicine at UMB, introduce one
way to conceptualize translational research and translational
bioinformatics in this context, describe a proposed model for
evaluating and implementing genomic medicine programs, and describe
some of my current and planned research in translational
bioinformatics.

Casey L. Overby (http://bit.ly/CLOumb)is an Assistant Professor of
Medicine in the Program for Personalized and Genomic Medicine and the
Center for Health-related Informatics and Bio-Imaging at the
University of Maryland School of Medicine. She received her Masters of
Biotechnology from the University of Pennsylvania in 2006, her PhD in
Biomedical and Health Informatics and a Graduate Certificate in Public
Health Genetics from the University of Washington in 2011. In 2013,
she completed her post-doctoral training in the Department of
Biomedical Informatics at Columbia University and started her position
at University of Maryland, Baltimore.

     -- more information and directions: http://bit.ly/UMBCtalks --