[CSEE Talk] talk: Advanced Computer Systems Machine Learning program, Fri 11/30

Tim Finin finin at csee.umbc.edu
Tue Nov 20 01:06:04 EST 2012

                          UMBC CSEE Colloquium

        Advanced Computer Systems (ACS) Machine Learning program

                              Mark McLean
           Senior Researcher, Advanced Computer Systems group

             1:00pm Friday, 30 November 2012, ITE 227, UMBC

My talk will discuss the ACS Machine learning program. The ACS ML
program's focus is on three main areas; algorithm development, applied
research and integration into efficient hardware. Our algorithm
development work has created the Concurrent Learning Algorithm and
Importance Map technologies. These technologies were developed
in-house and have some unique capabilities which make it ideal for our
purposes. I'll give some demos of these technologies learning on
datasets from the UCI repository. For our current research effort, I
will discuss our ideas of using neural networks to process complex
digital algorithms, which is not a traditional focus for neural
networks. Here, I will discuss our efforts to make a neural network
learn the Advanced Encryption Standard encryption functionality and
why this could impact the way we design digital systems in the
future. For our hardware focus, I'll talk about our efforts to develop
a Memristor-based neuromorphic processor and why we hope to succeed
where others have failed.

Mark McLean has been a senior researcher in the Advanced Computer
Systems group Since 2009. His main area of research is on neural
network algorithms, application and neuromorphic processor
development. Mr. McLean has done post-graduate work at UMD, Holds a MS
degree in Computer Engineering from Loyola College and a BS degree in
Computer Science. Previously, he held the position of technical
director for the microelectronics and reverse engineering group in the
DOD. He has work in industry as lead designer for re-configurable
computing at Annapolis Micro-Systems and is a retired officer from the
USAF.

— See http://bit.ly/UMBCtalks for more information and directions —