[CSEE-colloq] CSEE Colloquium Talk - Friday, February 10, 2012 @ 1:00p.m. in ITE 325B

Keara Fliggins fliggins at umbc.edu
Thu Jan 12 15:52:36 EST 2012

CSEE COLLOQUIUM

Friday, February 10, 2012
ITE Building, Room 325B
1:00 p.m.

An Integrated Machine Learning Framework for Analyzing Protein-Ligand
Interaction Data

Dr. Huzefa Rangwala
Assistant Professor, Computer Science & Engineering
George Mason University

Abstract:
Proteins have a vast influence on the molecular machinery of life.
Stunningly complex networks of proteins perform innumerable functions in
every living cell.  Small organic molecules (a.k.a. ligands) can bind to
different proteins and modulate (inhibit/activate) their functions.
Understanding these interactions provides insight into the underlying
biological processes and is useful for designing therapeutic drugs.

In this talk I will describe our work related to the analysis of
information associated with proteins and their interacting molecule
partners (protein-ligand activity matrix). The underlying hypothesis of
our approach is that by extracting information from protein-ligand
activity matrix, we are drawing bridges between the structure of
chemical compounds (chemical space) and the structure of the proteins
and their functions (biological space).  I will present an approach used
for mining relational data, especially when the data is sparse and high
dimensional. I will also present methods that are based on the
principles of multi-task learning and semi-supervised learning.

Biography:
Huzefa Rangwala is an Assistant Professor at the department of Computer
Science & Engineering, George Mason University. He holds affiliate
positions with the Department of Bioengineering and the Department of
Bioinformatics & Computational Biology. He received his Ph.D. in
Computer Science from the University of Minnesota in the year 2008. His
core research interests include bioinformatics, machine learning, and
high performance computing. Specifically, he is working on developing
new data mining algorithms and applying them to the fields of genomics,
structural bioinformatics, drug discovery and social media analysis.

Host: Dr. Marie desJardins, mariedj at cs.umbc.edu