[CSEE-colloq] talk: Exploring the Web, Beyond Document Search, 1pm Fri 2/24, ITE 325, UMBC

Tim Finin finin at cs.umbc.edu
Mon Feb 20 14:59:46 EST 2012

                            CSEE COLLOQUIUM

               Exploring the Web, Beyond Document Search

                           Professor Yi Chen
               Computer Science, Arizona State University

             1:00pm Friday 24 February 2012, ITE 325b, UMBC

Today we rely on Web Search Engines, like Google or Bing, to find
relevant documents among trillions or quadrillions of documents on the
Web. The Web also contains a vast amount of structured data in a
variety of domains, such as travel, products, bibliographies, finance,
and social networks. Current Web search engines and web database query
interfaces are insufficient to satisfy the diverse search needs of web
users. The information discovery processes are further complicated by
the prevalence of uncertain data. At the same time, it is infeasible
to request a web user to design clean databases and write precise SQL
queries.  In this talk, I will discuss the challenges, opportunities,
and then some of the solutions that we have developed for empowering
web users for effective information search on structured data.
Furthermore, I will discuss how to enable successful social search so
that complex computation tasks can be accomplished by leveraging
social computing.

Yi Chen (http://bit.ly/A9PXCy) is an Associate Professor in Computer
Science and an affiliate faculty in Biomedical Informatics at Arizona
State University (ASU).  She received her Ph.D. from the University of
Pennsylvania and her B.S. from Central South University in 2005 and
1999, respectively. Her research interests include keyword search on
structured data, learning uncertain data, workflow management and
social computing, with applications in Web, social computing and
healthcare.  She is a general chair for SIGMOD'2012, a PC chair for
KEYS’2009 and DBRank’2012.  Yi Chen is a recipient of Outstanding
Researcher Award in ASU CSE (2011), a Google Research Award (2011),
IBM Faculty Award (2010) and an NSF CAREER Award (2009).

Host: Anupam Joshi
More information: http://csee.umbc.edu/talks