[CSEE-colloq] talk: Lifecycle of IT Services in the Cloud, 1pm Fri 10/7, ITE227

Tim Finin finin at cs.umbc.edu
Thu Oct 6 16:01:20 EDT 2011

                            CSEE Colloquium

                  INTEGRATED LIFECYCLE OF IT SERVICES
                         IN CLOUD ENVIRONMENTS

                           Karuna Pande Joshi

              1:00pm Friday 7 October 2011, ITE 227, UMBC

Virtualized service models are now emerging and redefining the way
information technology (IT) is delivered. Managing these services
efficiently over the cloud is an open challenge. For my PhD
dissertation research, I have proposed a semantically rich,
policy-based framework to automate the lifecycle of cloud services.
In this talk, I will describe the proposed methodology for the
lifecycle of IT services delivered on the cloud.  I have divided the
IT service lifecycle into five phases of requirements, discovery,
negotiation, composition, and consumption and will detail each phase
and list the high level ontologies that I have developed for them.
This research complements previous work on ontologies for service
descriptions in that it goes beyond simple matchmaking and is focused
on supporting negotiation for the particulars of IT services.  I will
also describe the web-based prototype system that we are developing in
collaboration with NIST. We are using Semantic Web technologies to
represent and reason about services and service requirements.

Karuna Joshi is a Ph.D. student in the computer Science and Electrical
Engineering Department and an IT Project Manager with over 15 years of
industrial experience. She worked at the International Monetary Fund
for over nine years. She has also worked for MORENet, Missouri and
Silverline Industries Ltd. in India. Her managerial experience
includes Portfolio Management, Program/Project Management and Change
Management. She has managed projects across various domains including
Databases, Web Content Management, Document Management, Web/Database
Integration, Helpdesk Applications, IT Knowledge/Information
Management, Facilities Applications and Network/Telecom
Applications. Karuna Joshi is currently pursuing PhD in Computer
Science in the field of Services Sciences Management and Engineering
(SSME) and Distributed Web Systems from University of Maryland,
Baltimore County (UMBC). She has been awarded the prestigious IBM PhD
Fellowship for 2011-12. She completed her MS in Computer Science from
UMBC in 1999 and her Bachelors in Computer Engineering from University
of Mumbai, India in 1993. Apart from SSME, her research interests also
include Databases, Web Technologies and Data mining.

See http://bit.ly/oFeG9R for more information