[agents] Challenges and Opportunities in Multiagent RL: Branislav Bosansky

Frans Oliehoek fa.oliehoek at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 05:34:59 EST 2021

Dear all,

Happy to announce the next speaker in our virtual seminars on the
Challenges and Opportunities for Multiagent Reinforcement Learning (COMARL):

Speaker: Branislav Bosansky

Title: Solving Dynamic Games with Imperfect Information

When: November 18th

Abstract:

Finding optimal strategies for dynamic multi-agent interactions, where
agents have only partial observations about the environment, is one of
today's challenges. Even the cases with two agents and strictly
competitive interactions (i.e., zero-sum games) are difficult --
especially if we consider interactions that either require many turns to
complete or do not have a limited number of turns. At the same time, we
want algorithms with bounded error to know how close to (or far away
from) the optimum the found strategies are.

  From the game-theoretic perspective, we can model two-agent strictly
competitive interactions as zero-sum partially observable stochastic
games (zs-POSGs) with the infinite or indefinite horizon. Since even
zs-POSGs can be undecidable, we pose further restrictions that allow us
to design and implement search algorithms that are guaranteed to
converge to optimal strategies and have a bounded error. Our algorithms
are inspired by Heuristic Search Value Iteration (HSVI) for
partially-observable Markov decision processes (POMDPs), however,
significantly modified to solve games where (a) only one player has
partial information or (b) where both players have partial information
but all observations are public.

In the talk, I will describe the key characteristics and the schema of
all of our algorithms and identify future directions to scale up and/or
generalize our algorithms.

Date & time: November 18th 10AM EDT / 3PM UTC / 4PM CET

How to
attend:https://sites.google.com/view/comarl-seminars/how-to-attend