[agents] Phd opening in Human-Interactive Robot Learning @ VU Amsterdam

Koen Hindriks k.v.hindriks at vu.nl
Mon Jun 28 04:28:24 EDT 2021

Are you a highly motivated researcher interested in shaping the future of
interactive robotics? Do you enjoy developing user-centered algorithms on
real robots and testing them with real people? Do you want to work with
ambitious colleagues working at the intersection of human-robot
interaction, artificial intelligence, and machine learning in the exciting
city of Amsterdam? Then please apply for this PhD position at Vrije
Universiteit Amsterdam (VU).
https://workingat.vu.nl/ad/phd-position-in-human-interactive-robot-learning/7ke64j

*Location: *AMSTERDAM
*FTE: *1  JOB DESCRIPTION

You will conduct high quality research with several robotic platforms
between the Social AI Group (https://socialai.nl/) and the Computational
Group (https://cs.vu.nl/ci/). You will mainly be developing algorithms for
social robot learning from human teachers.

The project aims at leveraging the dynamic nature of human preferences in
teaching contexts to allow a robot to actively influence teacher
preferences during the interaction. We hypothesize that such an approach
could not only increase the quality of interaction, but also potentially
increase learning performance by allowing teachers to explore solutions
that they may have not initially foreseen.

This project will contribute to an expanded and richer set of tools that
will allow human teachers to flexibly transfer knowledge and skills to
robots while at the same time learning about their own preferences. We
expect these contributions to be not only of direct relevance to
human-robot interaction, but also potentially to other human-in-the-loop
domains such as general supervised learning, recommender systems, and
technology-assisted design and prototyping.

*Your duties*

   - Analyzing the literature on relevant topics in the area of interactive
   machine learning and human modeling
   - Developing novel algorithms for human-interactive learning with
   various (humanoid and non-humanoid) robotic platforms
   - Running controlled and exploratory user studies to inform and evaluate
   these algorithms
   - Contributing to the group’s infrastructure, including the Social
   Interaction Cloud
   https://socialrobotics.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/CBSR/overview

REQUIREMENTS

   - Master’s degree or equivalent in a computing related field (computer
   science, artificial intelligence, engineering, robotics, human-computer
   interaction, cognitive science, etc.)
   - Strong motivation for complex real-world problem solving and a
   multi-disciplinary approach to research
   - Solid programming skills (e.g., Python, C++, Linux, ROS)
   - The ability to work as part of a team alongside researchers with
   diverse perspectives
   - Experience with user studies and statistical testing is a plus but not
   required

Candidates with exceptional relevant skills not listed above may be
considered even if they do not fit one of the requirements. WHAT ARE WE
OFFERING? A challenging position in a socially involved organization. The
salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic
personnel and amounts €2,395 (PhD) per month during the first year and
increases to €3,061 (PhD) per month during the fourth year, based on
full-time employment. The job profile: PhD student, is based on the
university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 1 FTE.

The appointment will initially be for 1 year. After a satisfactory
evaluation of the initial appointment, the contract will be extended for a
total duration of 4 years.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits
and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance,
such as:

   - a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
   - 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
   - solid pension scheme (ABP)
   - contribution to commuting expenses
   - optional model for designing a personalized benefits package

ABOUT VRIJE UNIVERSITEIT AMSTERDAM The ambition of Vrije Universiteit
Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding
education and ground-breaking research. We strive to be a university where
personal development and commitment to society play a leading role. A
university where people from different disciplines and backgrounds
collaborate to achieve innovations and to generate new knowledge. Our
teaching and research encompass the entire spectrum of academic endeavor –
from the humanities, the social sciences and the natural sciences through
to the life sciences and the medical sciences.

Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 26,000 students. We
employ over 4,600 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible and
located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring
environment for teaching and research.

*Diversity*
We are an inclusive university community. Diversity is one of our most
important values. We believe that engaging in international activities and
welcoming students and staff from a wide variety of backgrounds enhances
the quality of our education and research. We are always looking for people
who can enrich our world with their own unique perspectives and experiences.

*The Faculty of Science*
The Faculty of Science inspires researchers and students to find
sustainable solutions for complex societal issues. From forest fires to big
data, from obesity to medicines and from molecules to the moon: our
teaching and research programmes cover the full spectrum of the natural
sciences. We share knowledge and experience with leading research
institutes and industries, both here in the Netherlands and abroad.

Working at the Faculty of Science means working with students, PhD
candidates and researchers, all with a clear focus on their field and a
broad view of the world. We employ more than 1,250 staff members, and we
are home to around 6,000 students.

*About the research group*
The Social AI and Computational Intelligence Group are embedded within the
Computer Science Department. The Social AI group (https://socialai.nl/)
aims to research and develop smarter digital companions in order to improve
the way humans and machines understand and interact with each other. The
Computational Intelligence Group  (https://cs.vu.nl/ci/) researches
fundamental issues about how to design, use, and understand intelligent
systems made up by autonomous machines that can self-organise, evolve, and
learn.
APPLICATION Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the link
below and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until *July 19,
2021*. The job interviews are planned for 27 July, when possible please
take them into account when applying for the position.

https://workingat.vu.nl/ad/phd-position-in-human-interactive-robot-learning/7ke64j

*Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.*

*Vacancy questions*
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:

Name: Kim Baraka
Position: Assistant Professor
E-mail: k.baraka at vu.nl <%20k.baraka at vu.nl>
Telephone: 020 59 86750