[agents] Call for paper-ACII2021 Special Session: Uncover Our Hidden Emotion

CHEN Tong c_tong at SWU.EDU.CN
Fri Feb 19 02:26:23 EST 2021

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CFP.

We would like to invite you to submit article in the special session of the 9th International Conference on Affective Computing & Intelligent Interaction (ACII 2021). The ACII is the premier international forum for research on affective and multimodal human-machine interaction and systems.

Title of the Special Sesssion: Uncover our Hidden Emotion: Psychological Fundamentals, Computational Techniques, and Ethical Issues

Background and Motivation: Emotions are hidden in social life for some reasons. For examples, men are normally not encouraged to show their fear emotions; an non-cooperated patient with depression may show happy face in the diagnosis; a husband could show satisfied smile to a non-delicious dish cooked by his wife. The hiding of emotion is important in social communication. However, it can also hamper ourselves to understand our real emotion, mislead the psychological therapist, and affect our well-being.

The hidden emotion could leave trace through expressions, which mainly include masked expressions and micro expressions. Micro-expression is a subtle facial expression and happens when people fail to suppress their expressions. Masked expression is another way of manipulating facial expressions, i.e. the expression evoked by real emotions is intentionally masked by another expression, but two expressions may co-exist on face. Physiological signals, including ECG, EEG, SC, etc. are also indicators of emotion and could not controlled by will.

The overall goal of this special session is to explore the latest developments in hidden emotion recognition,aiming to further understand the psychological and cognitive mechanism of hiding emotions. In addition, the ethical issue for the research in this specific field will be also covered.

Topics of Interest (but not limited to):

(i) Micro-expression recognition

(ii) Masked-expression recognition

(iii) Physiological-signal-based or voice-signal-based emotion recognition

(iv) Multi-modal signal based emotion recognition

(v) Psychological and cognitive mechanism of hidden emotion

(vi) Ethical issue in hidden emotion research

ACII 2021 Website:       https://www.acii-conf.net/2021/

Special Issue Website : https://www.acii-conf.net/2021/special-session2/

Best Regards

Tong Chen

陈通
重庆西南大学
电子信息工程学院
400715

Tong Chen
Professor in Affective Computing

School of Electronic & Information Engineering,Southwest University

Key Laboratory of Cognition and Personality (SWU), Ministry of Education

Chongqing, 400715, China