[agents] [ANN] DBpedia Archivo - Call to improve the web of ontologies

Sebastian Hellmann pr-aksw at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Mon Dec 7 04:18:00 EST 2020

Apologies for cross-posting

Dear all,

We are proud to announce DBpedia Archivo (https://archivo.dbpedia.org)
an augmented ontology archive and interface to implement FAIRer
ontologies. Each ontology is rated with 4 stars measuring basic FAIR
features. We discovered 890 ontologies reaching on average 1.95 out of 4
stars. Many of them have no or unclear licenses and have issues w.r.t.
retrieval and parsing.

# Community action on individual ontologies

We would like to call on all ontology maintainers and consumers to help
us increase the average star rating of the web of ontologies by fixing
and improving its ontologies. You can easily check an ontology at
https://archivo.dbpedia.org/info. If you are an ontology maintainer just
release a patched version - archivo will automatically pick it up 8
hours later. If you are a user of an ontology and want your consumed
data to become FAIRer, please inform the ontology maintainer about the
issues found with Archivo.

The star rating is very basic and only requires fixing small things.
However, theimpact on technical and legal usability can be immense.

# Community action on all ontologies (quality, FAIRness, conformity)

Archivo is extensible and allows contributions to give consumers a
central place to encode their requirements. We envision fostering
adherence to standards and strengthening incentives for publishers to
build a better (FAIRer) web of ontologies.

 1.

    SHACL (https://www.w3.org/TR/shacl/, co-edited by DBpedia’s CTO D.
    Kontokostas) enables easy testing of ontologies. Archivo offers free
    SHACL continuous integration testing for ontologies. Anyone can
    implement their SHACL tests and add them to the SHACL library on
    Github. We believe that there are many synergies, i.e. SHACL tests
    for your ontology are helpful for others as well.

 2.

    We are looking for ontology experts to join DBpedia and discuss
    further validation (e.g. stars) to increase FAIRness and quality of
    ontologies. We are forming a steering committee and also a PC for
    the upcoming Vocarnival at SEMANTiCS 2021. Please message
    hellmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
    <mailto:hellmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>if you would like to
    join. We would like to extend the Archivo platform with relevant
    visualisations, tests, editing aides, mapping management tools and
    quality checks.

# How does Archivo work?

Each week Archivo runs several discovery algorithms to scan for new
ontologies. Once discovered Archivo checks them every 8 hours. When
changes are detected, Archivo downloads and rates and archives the
latest snapshot persistently on the DBpedia Databus.

# Archivo's mission

Archivo's mission is to improve FAIRness (findability, accessibility,
interoperability, and reusability) of all available ontologies on the
Semantic Web. Archivo is not a guideline, it is fully automated,
machine-readable and enforces interoperability with its star rating.

- Ontology developers can implement against Archivo until they reach
more stars. The stars and tests are designed to guarantee the
interoperability and fitness of the ontology.

- Ontology users can better find, access and re-use ontologies.
Snapshots are persisted in case the original is not reachable anymore
adding a layer of reliability to the decentral web of ontologies.

Let’s all join together to make the web of ontologies more reliable and
stable,

Johannes Frey, Denis Streitmatter, Fabian Götz, Sebastian Hellmann and
Natanael Arndt

Paper: https://svn.aksw.org/papers/2020/semantics_archivo/public.pdf