[agents] CfP for Special Issue on Covid-19 and the Cloud

Cathryn Peoples cathryn.j.peoples at ieee.org
Mon Aug 31 06:11:25 EDT 2020

EAI Endorsed Transactions on Cloud Systems
SPECIAL ISSUE CALL-FOR-PAPERS

SPECIAL ISSUE ON: Covid-19 and the Cloud

SCOPE: Our Covid-19 pandemic continues to have life changing circumstances
for everyone. One priority for each of us has been maintaining our health.
For many, this has meant avoiding our normal human network and restricting
the introduction of others into our breathing space. Achieving this
effectively has been supported by the telecommunication network
infrastructure, and the resource capacity made available by the cloud.
Cloud technology brings the benefits of scalability and elasticity, and
fast reaction to change in resource demand. In times of crisis, the cloud
provides a particularly useful backbone, moving society away from
centralised and populated areas towards more physically isolated, yet as
connected, environments. The Covid-19 pandemic has driven our human need to
digitise quickly and in an effective way to allow us to remain competitive.

The objective of this Special Issue is to gather case study experiences of
the use of cloud technology during the Covid-19 pandemic, and to discuss
the way in which our cloud use has evolved during this period. We are
interested in understanding the fundamental role which the cloud continues
to provide in our lives. Proposals for new operational models, protocols,
management approaches, and resource deployments relevant for the cloud
landscape will be also welcomed. It is the aim that the SI will present a
snapshot of everything related to cloud at this point in time, specific to
and with a focus on the Covid-19 pandemic.

TOPICS: Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
• Lessons learnt from moving business operations to the cloud
• The cloud computing landscape in 2021 as a consequence of reactions to
Covid-19
• SaaS deployment made during Covid-19
• Cloud use to support the effort of managing and overcoming Covid-19,
including vaccine development
• Challenges of providing the front-line service of an online connection to
cloud during times of crisis
• Cloud supporting the propagation of misinformation, or fake news relating
to Covid-19
• Regions in need, yet restricted in their use of cloud
• Supporting and managing technologically marginalised groups during times
of crisis
• The mental impact of not being connected during times of crisis
• Effective billing models to provide fair service during a crisis

IMPORTANT DATES:
Manuscript submission deadline: 2020-10-30
Notification of acceptance: 2020-12-18
Submission of final revised paper: 2021-01-25
Publication of special issue (tentative): 2021-02-15

LEAD GUEST EDITOR: Dr Cathryn Peoples (cathryn.j.peoples at ieee.org)