[agents] RL and LfD research positions at Bosch / UT Austin, focusing on autonomous vehicles

W Bradley Knox bradknox at cs.utexas.edu
Wed Oct 16 10:58:27 EDT 2019

 Research Scientist - Machine Learning for Autonomous Driving Behavior:
https://smrtr.io/3rgnH
Research Engineer - Machine Learning for Autonomous Driving Behavior:
https://smrtr.io/3sqZZ

Hi, everyone. Apologies for any multiples of this posting that reach your
inbox.

I’m writing to share the above research position openings, which will be of
interest to students, postdocs, etc. doing research on RL, LfD, or other
machine learning for robotic decision making.

I've just begun building an RL/LfD-for-autonomous-vehicles research team
for Bosch, the world's largest automotive supplier (with $51B in revenue in
2018), who also happens to make nice home appliances and power tools. Our
team has an unusual setup: we office within the UT Austin Computer Science
building and are collaborating with Peter Stone, Scott Niekum, and others
here. We plan to publish research on RL and LfD topics---where autonomous
driving may only be one of many applications of the research results---but
we’ll also do R&D that adds algorithms to the Bosch autonomous vehicle
program. In the mix are some human-in-the-loop RL research projects as
well.

We’re hiring a research engineer and a research scientist to join us here.
(We plan to hire summer interns as well. Email me at the address below if
interested.)

Here’s why I’m grateful to be in this group and why it’s a special
opportunity for researchers focusing on RL or LfD for robotics. Features of
Bosch in Austin:

   - an ability to move between fundamental and applied research
   - a focus on autonomous vehicles, a high-impact topic with problems
   spread across the spectrum of application and research
   - competitive industry pay in an academic setting
   - Austin (creative culture, natural beauty, and a low cost of living for
   a US tech hub)

Please send any questions to my Bosch email, brad.knox at us.bosch.com.
Applications to the research scientist and research engineer roles should
be made through the links at top.

Best Regards,
Brad
W. Bradley Knox, PhD