[agents] [meetings] Call for Participation: ICRA 19 Workshop on Algorithms and Architectures for Learning in-the-Loop Systems in Autonomous Flight

Sarah Tang sytang at alumni.upenn.edu
Tue May 14 15:43:39 EDT 2019

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: Workshop on Algorithms and Architectures for Learning in-the-Loop Systems in Autonomous Flight at International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) 2019
May 24, 2019
Montreal, Canada
https://uav-learning-icra.github.io/2019/ <https://uav-learning-icra.github.io/2019/>

In past years, model-based techniques have successfully endowed aerial robots with impressive capabilities like high-speed navigation through unknown environments. However, task specifications, like goal positions, are often still hand-engineered. To achieve true autonomy in applications such as disaster response and environmental-monitoring, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) must additionally exhibit semantic understanding of tasks and environments, adaptation to unexpected changes, and robustness to unmodeled disturbances.

Machine learning and deep learning have emerged as promising tools for higher-level autonomy, but are more difficult to analyze and implement in real-time. Furthermore, maintaining high thrust-to-weight ratios for agility directly contradicts the need to carry sensor and computation resources, making hardware and software architecture equally crucial decisions.

This workshop aims to bring together researchers in the complementary fields of aerial robotics, learning, and systems to discuss the following themes:

Learning for autonomous robots - How should learning be incorporated into robots’ perception-action loops?
Structure in learning - How can models, structure, and priors enhance learning on robots?
Performance guarantees - How can we analyze closed-loop performance of learning-in-the-loop systems?
Software+hardware co-design - How can we implement learning algorithms on resource-constrained UAVs? How should we simultaneously optimize algorithms and hardware choices to create lightweight, but highly-capable, UAVs?

We have an exciting lineup of invited talks and paper presentations. We hope to see you in Montreal!

CONFIRMED KEYNOTE SPEAKERS:

Dr. Marc Bellemare, Research Scientist, Google Brain
Gareth Cross, Technical Lead of State Estimation, Skydio, Inc.
Dr. Ashish Kapoor, Principal Researcher, Microsoft Research
Prof. Davide Scaramuzza, Director of Robotics and Perception Group, ETH Zurich
Prof. Lydia Tapia, Associate Professor, University of New Mexico

The complete workshop schedule can be found at: https://uav-learning-icra.github.io/2019/ <https://uav-learning-icra.github.io/2019/>

Please feel free to contact the workshop committee at lsaf19\at\easychair.org <http://easychair.org/>

ORGANIZERS:
Dr. Aleksandra Faust, Google Brain
Dr. Vijay Janapa Reddi, Harvard University
Dr. Angela Schoellig, University of Toronto
Dr. Sarah Tang, University of Pennsylvania/Nuro, Inc.