[agents] PhD and postdoc vacancies at TU Delft

Frans Oliehoek fa.oliehoek at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 19:45:01 EDT 2018

I am pleased to announce that the Department of Intelligent Systems at TU
Delft, The Netherlands, can offer two PhD and one postdoc position. The
positions are part of an ERC-funded research project, "INLFUENCE:
Influence-based decision-making in uncertain environments", and are fully
funded.

Closing date: April 23.

*Project description:*
INFLUENCE is situated in the intersection of machine learning,
reinforcement learning and multiagent systems. The aim of the project is to
investigate how to scale up methods for automated decision making for
complex systems.

In particular, we will focus on using machine learning techniques to learn
representations of 'influence' (e.g. how certain parts of the system affect
other parts), and using such representations to scale up decision making.
INFLUENCE will focus on two problems domains:
-coordinated control of traffic lights in a large city
-autonomous warehousing with teams of robots
(But also other domains can be considered).

Currently I am recruiting for the following positions:

---
*PhD student in Machine Learning of Influence Descriptions in Complex
Systems  (4 years)*

This position will focus on learning compact descriptions of ‘influence’,
i.e., how a sub-problem is affected over time, by building on
state-of-the-art (deep) machine learning techniques.

Full requirements and application instructions:
https://www.academictransfer.com/employer/TUD/vacancy/46297/lang/en/

---
*PhD student in Influence-based Sequential Decision Making (4 years)*

This position will focus online planning methods (such as extensions of
Monte Carlo tree search methods) making use of learned influence
descriptions, and developing self-improving simulators.

Full requirements and application instructions:
https://www.academictransfer.com/employer/TUD/vacancy/46314/lang/en/

---
*Postdoc in High Performance Planning and Learning Algorithms (3 years)*

This position focuses on high-performance simulation-based planning and
learning, and the candidate will play a leading role in the joint
development efforts.

Full requirements and application instructions:
https://www.academictransfer.com/employer/TUD/vacancy/46317/lang/en/

---
For more information, please see:
https://www.fransoliehoek.net/wp/vacancies/

(in addition to the aforementioned post-specific URLs.)

Informal inquiries are welcome and can be directed to myself:
Dr. Frans Oliehoek <f.a.oliehoek at tudelft.nl>.

---
Additionally, I'd like to point out that the department is also looking for
a:

*6-Year PhD Students in Computer Science with Teaching Responsibilities *

https://www.academictransfer.com/employer/TUD/vacancy/46059/lang/en/

If you have a proposal that connects to my research interests, then I am
happy to discuss.

I would be grateful if you could forward this message to suitable
candidates.

Best regards,
-Frans Oliehoek