[agents] cfp first international workshop on Socio-Cognitive Systems @ FAIM

Frank Dignum F.P.M.Dignum at uu.nl
Fri Mar 16 09:09:40 EDT 2018

CALL FOR PAPERS

Socio-Cognitive Systems: Computational and Formal models
Workshop at FAIM2018

-------------------

*Important dates*:
-------------------

*Deadline for submissions:1 May 2018*

*Notification of acceptance:25 May 2018**
Camera-ready copy of papers:15 June 2018****
Workshop:14 or 15 July 2018*

-------------------

Much of AI only makes sense within the social systems they are embedded.
In the real world these social systems in their turn are created and
maintained by the people and thus their cognitive abilities.

In this workshop, we want to explore the interactions between cognitive
and social aspects of so-called socio-cognitive systems. The workshop
connects elements of IJCAI/ECAI, AAMAS and ICML. Of course, modelling
these systems in terms of Multi-Agent Systems seems intuitive, but would
require special attention to the social concepts in these MAS. The
cognitive abilities of the agents should adapt themselves to the social
context and development, which connects this area to machine learning in
a social context.

The topics of the workshop include but are not limited to:

* Social norms, conventions and practices
* Institutions
* Social networks and their dynamics
* Group recognition and membership
* Development of (social) Identity
* Status and power relations
* Plan coordination
* Social agency
* Social adaptation
* Social self-regulation
* The construction of social reality
* Complex negotiations
* Agreed naming and reference
* Cultural coherence
* Foundations of Communication
* The construction and coordination of complex value-chains
* Enculturation
* Co-development of social context

SCS welcomes high-quality research that goes beyond looking at social
aspects of individual cognition or the properties of individuals in
social systems and seeks to truly integrate these two layers. We
particularly welcome *interdisciplinary *research, work that seeks to
tackle areas that have been ignored before and novel approaches to
relating the cognitive and the social. We are agnostic about the kind of
approach or tools used, but favour approaches with an identifiable
empirical or computational/formal content - both systems constructed for
a particular goal in mind and models of observed or theoretical systems.
However, the aim is to give new insights - into social science,
cognitive science and Artificial Intelligence - merely formalising or
implementing a system is not enough. We welcome contributions from a
wide range of standpoints as long as this does not involve an effective
reduction to only the individual or social levels.Papers will undergo
the normal review process and are selected on the basis of quality.
However, when choices have to be made we will try to spread the accepted
papers over the main themes of the workshop. Interesting ideas are more
important in this respect than detailed results on fringe topics.A
selection of the best papers of the workshop will be considered for a
special issue of the new Springer journal on Socio-Cognitive Systems.

-------------------

Formatting guidelines:
-------------------

We encourage participants to submit a paper (15 pages max), describing
their work on one or more of the topics mentioned above. All
non-presenting participants will need to submit a one-page position
statement which presents their view on socio-cognitive systems relative
to (one of) the workshop topics.

All submissions must include the author's name(s), affiliation, complete
mailing address, phone number, fax number and email address. Please use
the LNCS format for formatting your paper.All accepted submissions and
position statements will be published in the workshop proceedings.

  -------------------

Submission procedure:
-------------------
Submissions should be submitted through the EasyChair system
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=scs18
in PDF format.
The deadline for receipt of submissions is 1 May 2018. Papers received
after this date will not be reviewed.

-------------------
Workshop Organizers
-------------------

Frank Dignum,Utrecht University,The Netherlands

Bruce Edmonds, Manchester Metropolitan University ,UK

  -------------------

Program Committee (to be confirmed):
-------------------

1.Melania Borit

2.Amit Chopra

3.Edmund Chattoe-Brown

4.Stephen Cranefield

5.Kristen Dautenhahn

6.Gert-Jan Hofstede

7.Wander Jager

8.Catholijn Jonker

9.Yoshi Kashima

10.Victor Lesser

11.Emiliano Lorini

12.Stacy Marsella

13.John-Jules Meyer

14.Rui Prada

15.Javier Vazquez Salceda

16.Munindar Singh

17.Pawel Sobkowicz

18.Wamberto Vasconcelos

19.Harko Verhagen

20.Nanda Weijermans

--

Frank Dignum                            *
Utrecht University                      *Knowledge is only one point,