[agents] PhD position on machine learning for sequential decision making

Matthijs Spaan m.t.j.spaan at tudelft.nl
Fri Sep 8 08:39:57 EDT 2017

Dear colleagues and students,

The Algorithmics research group of Delft University of Technology offers
a funded 4-year PhD position on combining machine learning and model
checking to learn and evaluate models for sequential decision making.

Deadline: October 15, 2017

Automated decision-making is a key capability of any intelligent system.
Intelligent systems (e.g. for traffic planning, energy systems, robots,
automated negotiation) must plan ahead, which is particularly
challenging when either the future is uncertain, or they interact with
many other agents. To tackle such problems, the Algorithmics group
focuses on two lines of research.

We develop new algorithms and solvers for automated planning and
scheduling, improve upon existing techniques such as reinforcement
learning, Markov decision processes, and mathematical programming, and
integrate our results in working prototypes and toolboxes to be used by
other researchers and industry.

Furthermore, we develop game-theoretical mechanisms which govern the
interaction between multiple self-interested systems or users, and
provide computationally efficient algorithms to compute equilibria in
these interactions.

By tackling these fundamental challenges at the intersection of
sequential decision-making, machine learning, and algorithmic mechanism
design, we contribute to more efficient energy use, reducing highway
congestion, and reducing the cost of asset maintenance in various
industries. Our results are published in the internationally leading
conferences and journals in planning and scheduling, multi-agent
systems, and artificial intelligence.

Regards,
Matthijs Spaan

PS: Please forward this email to potential candidates.