[agents] Job opening: one-year researcher position on Data Analytics for Trade Lane Risk Assessments and Control at TU/e, the Netherlands

Zhang, Y. YQZhang at tue.nl
Wed Aug 30 02:54:47 EDT 2017

Job opening: one-year researcher position (junior researcher or postdoc) on Data Analytics for Trade Lane Risk Assessments and Control at TU/e, The Netherlands

+++++ Research project description+++++

The project 'Data Analytics for Trade Lane Risk Assessments and Control' will conduct research into innovative solutions to optimize trade lane risk management for global pharmaceutical logistics. Together with our industrial partners, we aim to develop advanced data analytics solutions that can significantly improve current risk assessments and result in further trade lane optimization.  The project focuses on the following two topics:

Topic 1: Machine learning for dynamic risk assessments. Today most lane risk assessments are based on theoretical assessments of supplier capabilities, collected from paper questionnaires or on-site audits, which may be combined with a set of sensor measurements from a small number of test shipments.  In this task, we aim to improve this assessment method by using advanced machine learning methods on large historical shipments data sets.

Topic 2: Simulation-based optimization of trade-lane packaging options. Besides potential risks, another key consideration in setting up a new trade lane for temperature-sensitive products is the selection of appropriate packaging. In this task, we will develop a simulation tool that can simulate the internal product temperature during a specific trade lane.

We are looking for a junior researcher who should have completed (or be close to completion of) a Master's degree in Computer Science, Operations Management, Econometrics, or Industrial Engineering, with a solid background in quantitative research methods. An ideal candidate should have a good basis in machine learning, optimization and is interested in logistics.  It is also possible to convert the position to a Postdoc position.

The candidate will work at the School of Industrial Engineering, TU Eindhoven. We offer a researcher appointment for a period of 12 months (with the possibility of extension) with a starting date as early as possible.

The project is funded by TKI Dinalog. The application must contain the following documents (all in English):

*         One page application letter;

*         An extensive curriculum vitae;

*         A course list of your Masters and Bachelor programs (including grades);

*         Results of a recent English language test, or other evidence of your English language capabilities;

*         Name and contact information of two references.

To apply, please email the application documents to Dr. Alp Akcay (A.E.Akcay at tue.nl<mailto:A.E.Akcay at tue.nl>), or Dr. Yingqian Zhang (yqzhang at tue.nl<mailto:yqzhang at tue.nl>). The position remains open till it is filled.