[agents] Vacancy for a post-doctoral researcher in Algorithmics in Delft

Mathijs de Weerdt M.M.deWeerdt at tudelft.nl
Wed Aug 23 10:10:22 EDT 2017

Vacancy for a post-doctoral researcher in Algorithmics

We have an open position for a post-doctoral researcher in the Algorithmics group of the Department of Software Technology of the TU Delft (http://www.alg.ewi.tudelft.nl ). The post-doctoral researcher will join a team of (mostly) computer scientists who are currently developing new algorithms for automated planning and scheduling for the power grid. Strong software development skills are required. The point of contact is Mathijs de Weerdt (M.M.deWeerdt at tudelft.nl).

Duration: from October 2017 until January 31, 2019 (start date is flexible)
Location: Delft, The Netherlands
Related project(s): Gaming beyond the Copper Plate (http://www.alg.ewi.tudelft.nl/projects/gcp-gaming-beyond-the-copper-plate/ ) and Future-proof Flexible Charging (http://www.alg.ewi.tudelft.nl/projects/future-proof-flexible-charging/ )

The Algorithmics group focuses on two lines of research. We develop new algorithms and solvers for automated planning and scheduling, improve upon existing techniques such as reinforcement learning, Markov decision processes, and mathematical programming, and integrate our results in working prototypes and toolboxes to be used by other researchers and industry. Furthermore, we develop game-theoretical mechanisms which govern the interaction between multiple self-interested systems or users, and provide computationally efficient algorithms to compute equilibria in these interactions.

By tackling these fundamental challenges at the intersection of sequential decision-making, machine learning, and algorithmic mechanism design, we contribute to more efficient energy use, reducing highway congestion, and reducing the cost of asset maintenance in various industries. Our results are published in the internationally leading conferences and journals in planning and scheduling, multi-agent systems, and artificial intelligence.

We are looking for an innovative post-doctoral researcher to join a cross-disciplinary project that further involves two PhD students and a programmer. This position is an opportunity to gain experience of advanced software development and research and to collaborate with an industrial partner (Jedlix/Eneco).

Candidates should have a PhD in computer science, mathematics, energy market simulation, applied optimization or similar. The successful applicant should have an outstanding research and publication record. Well-developed analytical and problem solving skills are a requirement. We are looking for a strongly motivated person, who is able to work independently and has an interest for applications to real systems. Good command of English orally and in writing is required to present and publish research results.

The application must include:
1. a curriculum vitae
2. a copy of the degree certificate(s) and transcripts of records from your previously attended university-level institutions
3. motivation letter
4. representative publications
5. contact information for two reference persons

Please send your application by mail to M.M.deWeerdt at tudelft.nl (position stays open until filled)