[agents] Faculty position @ MIT Media Lab

Iyad Rahwan irahwan at acm.org
Tue Nov 3 13:07:20 EST 2015

MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
Two Tenure-Track Junior Faculty Positions in Media Arts and Sciences
MIT Media Lab, Cambridge, MA

The MIT Media Lab (http://www.media.mit.edu) is seeking candidates to fill
up to two tenure-track faculty positions. Appointments will be within the
Media Arts and Sciences academic program principally at the junior faculty
level.

The Media Lab is a trans-disciplinary research organization focused on the
invention of new technologies that radically improve the ways people live,
learn, work, play, communicate, and express themselves. While we welcome
applications in all areas related to the Media Lab mission, we are
especially interested in candidates working in the following domains:

   - design and expression;
   - learning tools and environments;
   - smart materials; and
   - machine intelligence.

Candidates should have a strong record of research and practice, a
willingness to take risks, a desire to look beyond traditional disciplines,
and a dedication to making a difference in the world. You can be a
designer, inventor, scientist, or scholar–any combination–as long as you
make things that matter. Impact is key. A doctorate is preferred but not
required.

Successful candidates will be expected to:

   - establish and lead their own research group within the Media Lab;
   - pursue creative work and research of the highest international
   standard;
   - advise masters and doctoral students; participate actively in the
   Media Lab community; and
   - teach at the graduate level in the Media Arts and Sciences program.

To apply, please fill out the application at (
http://apply.interfolio.com/32822). Applicants will be asked to upload
their CV, personal website url, names of three references, and a personal
statement of no more than two pages that includes the applicant’s plans for
exploring big ideas and challenging questions, and discusses what the
applicant will bring to the Media Lab and how the Lab will enable the
applicant to accomplish his or her goals.

Application deadline: December 20, 2015.

MIT and the Media Lab have a strong commitment to diversity in education,
we especially encourage minorities and women to apply. MIT is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. EOE.

Questions? Contact faculty-search at media.mit.edu