[agents] phd student opening

elizabeth sklar sklar at sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu
Mon Jan 16 17:47:30 EST 2012

PhD Student Opening

The HRTeam project in the Agents Lab at The City University of New York seeks
a PhD student in Computer Science. Our project takes a multiagent approach to
challenging search problems in human/multi-robot teams. We deploy a
heterogeneous human/robot team whose combined abilities provide diverse
functionality and employ innovative search and machine learning
techniques. The team’s world is dynamic, as is its composition, and there is a
substantial learning component in the project based on the FORR architecture.

We seek an exceptional Computer Science PhD student with excellent
communication skills, preferably with a background in cognitive science and/or
robotics. The applicant should be a skilled programmer, a strong researcher,
and a good collaborator. The appointment period will be for three years (2012–
2015). A master’s degree or the equivalent in Computer Science is preferred,
but not required. Please send a CV, a motivation letter, and recommendation
letters by email to:
  Professor Susan Epstein  <susan.epstein at hunter.cuny.edu>
Letters will be reviewed beginning JANUARY 15, 2012.

In addition, candidates must also apply to the PhD program in the Department of
Computer Science at The Graduate School of The City University of New York, to
start in Fall 2012. Information about the PhD program at the CUNY Graduate
Center can be found here:
   http://www.cs.gc.cuny.edu/
Application deadline is FEBRUARY 15, 2012.

Principle Investigators on the HRTeam project are:

Professor Elizabeth Sklar
Brooklyn College and The Graduate Center, City University of New York
http://www.sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu/~sklar

Professor Susan Epstein
Hunter College and The Graduate Center, City University of New York
http://www.cs.hunter.cuny.edu/~epstein/

Professor Simon Parsons
Brooklyn College and The Graduate Center, City University of New York
http://www.sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu/~parsons