[agents] CFP Workshop on Agents for Games and Simulations (AGS at AAMAS-2010) DEADLINE EXTENDED 7 February

Frank Dignum dignum at cs.uu.nl
Mon Feb 1 09:27:24 EST 2010

CALL FOR PAPERS
Agents for Games and Simulations
Workshop at AAMAS 2010
May 10-11, 2010, Toronto, Canada
http://people.cs.uu.nl/dignum/AGS10/
Due to general requests we the deadline has been extended to February 7

-------------------
Important dates:
-------------------
Deadline for submissions: EXTENDED TO 7 February 2010
Notification of acceptance: 2 March 2010
Camera-ready copy of papers: 15 March 2010
Workshop: 10 or 11May 2010

-------------------

Research in Multi-Agent Systems offers promising technologies to
implement non-playing characters embodying more realistic cognitive
models. However, the technologies used in today's game engines and
multi-agent platforms are not readily compatible due to some differences
in their major concerns. For example, where game engines focus on
real-time aspects that prioritize efficiency and central control,
multi-agent platforms privilege agent autonomy instead. And while
multi-agent platforms typically offer sophisticated communication
capabilities, these may not be usable, or even appropriate, when the
agents are coupled to a game. So, although increased autonomy and
intelligence may offer benefits for a more compelling game play—and may
even be essential for serious games—it is not clear whether current
multi agent platforms offer the means that are needed to accomplish
this. Indeed, when current approaches to game design are used to
incorporate state of the art Multi-Agent System technology, the autonomy
and intelligence of the agents might even be seen more as a hindrance
than an asset. A very similar argument can be given for approaches based
on agent-based (social) simulations.
In this workshop we want to bring people together that address the
particular challenges of using agent technology for games and simulations.

Just like last year the workshop will have three main themes:

    * 1. Technical

          o 1. What techniques are suitable for agents that are
            incorporated into games and simulations?
          o 2. How to balance intelligence and efficiency?
          o 3. How to couple the agents to the game/simulation and
            manage this coupling’s information flow?

    * 2. Conceptual

          o 1. What information is available for the agents from the
            game or simulation engine?
          o 2. How do we balance reaction to events of the game or
            simulation with goal directed behavior?
          o 3. How do we handle ontological differences between
            information used by agents and information from the
            game/simulation information?

    * 3. Design

          o 1. How do we design games/simulations containing intelligent
            agents?
          o 2. How do we determine what agents should do and should not
            do, such that local autonomy and story direction are well
            balanced?
          o 3. How do we design the agents themselves, who are embedded
            in other (possibly diverse) systems, including associated
            tools and methodologies for authoring agent behavior?

Of course we also welcome any papers about experiences on the use of
agents in games and simulations. This can be applications where agents
are replacing persons in training situations, where agents function as
virtual tutors or in any other way enhance the game play. We also would
like to invite explicitly contributions that describe the use of agents
with rich cognitive models in simulations. Both success as well as
"failures" are welcome as they both can help us better understand what
are the key issues in combining agents with game and simulation engines.

To have look on what kind of papers were presented last year have a look
at: http://people.cs.uu.nl/dignum/AGS09/
The proceedings of that workshop are available from Springer LNAI-5920
Agents for Games and Simulations.

-------------------
Formatting guidelines:
-------------------
We encourage participants to submit a paper (15 pages max), describing
their work on one or more of the topics mentioned above. All
non-presenting participants will need to submit a one-page position
statement which presents their view on agents for games and simulations
relative to (one of) the workshop topics.
All submissions must include the author's name(s), affiliation, complete
mailing address, phone number, fax number and email address. Please use
the LNCS format for formatting your paper.
All accepted submissions and position statements will be published in
the workshop proceedings.

-------------------
Submission procedure:
-------------------
Submissions should be submitted through the EasyChair system at
https://www.easychair.org/login.cgi?conf=ags2010
PostScript or PDF format.
The deadline for receipt of submissions is February, 02, 2010. Papers
received after this date will not be reviewed.

-------------------
Organizing Committee
-------------------
Frank Dignum <http://people.cs.uu.nl/dignum/>, Utrecht University, The
Netherlands
Jeff Bradshaw <http://www.ihmc.us/users/user.php?UserID=jbradshaw>,
IHMC, Florida, USA
Jeff Orkin <http://web.media.mit.edu/%7Ejorkin/>, MIT, USA
Annerieke Heuvelink <http://cm.tm.tno.nl/index.php/en/heuvelink>, TNO,
The Netherlands

-------------------
Program Committee:
-------------------
Elisabeth Andre (DFKI, Germany)
Ruth Aylett (Heriot-Watt University, UK)
Andre Campos (UFRN, Brazil)
Bill Clancey (NASA, USA)
Rosaria Conte (ISTC-CNR, Italy)
Vincent Corruble (LIP6, France)
Yves Demazeau (CNRS-LIG, Grenoble)
Virginia Dignum (Technical University Delft, The Netherlands)
Alexis Drogoul (LIP6, France)
Bruce Edmonds (MMU, UK)
Corinna Elsenbroich (University of Surrey, UK)
Klaus Fischer (DFKI, Germany)
Hiromitsu Hattori (Kyoto University, Japan)
Koen Hindriks (Delft University, The Netherlands)
Wander Jager (Groningen University, The Netherlands)
Stefan Kopp (University of Bielefeld, Germany)
Mike van Lent (SOAR technology, USA)
Michael Lewis (University of Pittsburg, USA)
Stacy Marsella (USC, USA)
Scott Moss (MMU, UK)
Hector Munoz-Avila (Lehigh university, Bethlehem, USA)
Emma Norling (MMU UK)
Anton Nijholt (UT, The Netherlands)
Ana Paiva (IST, Portugal)
Michal Pechoucek (CTU, Czechia)
David Pynadath (USC, USA)
Geber Ramalho (Brazil)
Gopal Ramchurn (University of Southampton, UK)
Avi Rosenfeld (JCT, Israel)
David Sarne (Bar Ilan University, Israel)
Pjotr van Schothorst (VSTEP, The Netherlands)
Maarten Sierhuis (NASA, USA)
Pieter Spronck (Tilburg University, The Netherlands)
Katia Sycara (CMU, USA)
Duane Szafron (U of Alberta, Canada)
Max Tsvetovat (George Mason University, USA)

--

Frank Dignum                         *
Utrecht University                   * Knowledge is only one point,