[agents] Researcher/PhD in Sociable Agents at Bielefeld University

Stefan Kopp skopp at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Jun 27 09:04:57 EDT 2008

Dear Colleague,

could you please broadcast the following job announcement and/or the
appended PDF over your mailing list?
Thanks a lot in advance.

best regards,

Stefan Kopp

--------------------------------
*** Job Announcement - Sociable Agents ***

The newly esctablished Center of Excellence “Cognitive Interaction
Technology” at Bielefeld University combines interdisciplinary efforts
to elevate the command of technical systems to the level of cognitive
interaction with humans. For more details, see www.cit-ec.de.

In the Center of Excellence a new research group „Sociable Agents“
has been established. The group explores how embodied agents, i.e.
robots or 3D virtual characters, can learn to better interact with
people
by taking social aspects of communication into account. In this context,
we are inviting applications for the following positions, all available
immediately:

- 1 RESEARCHER (TV-L E13) for the duration until Oct. 2012 (ref. 1002)
Candidates are expected to develop cognitive architectures for embodied
agents that integrate models of multimodal dialogue with the
sensorimotor
grounding of social resonance. The researcher will be responsible for
the
realization and maintenance of technical prototype platforms. Teaching
at
undergraduate and graduate level is expected.

- 2 PH.D. SCHOLARSHIPS for the duration of 3 years (ref. 1003)
Candidates are expected to conduct technical and empirical research
on machine capabilities for developing communicative skills through
social learning, and for promoting and capitalizing on the evolvement
of familiarity and companionship in long-term interaction, respectively.

We are looking for applicants with an excellent degree in Computer
Science and a strong background in A.I., human-machine interaction,
social robotics, or interactive computer graphics. Knowledge in
Computational Linguistics or Cognitive/Social Psychology is highly
welcome. Practical programming skills are expected, good knowledge
of English is required.

For more information, please contact: Stefan Kopp (Tel: +49 521 1062921,
skopp at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de)

We will consider applications until all positions have been filled.
Applications
arriving no later than 25.7.2008 will receive full consideration.
Applications
including relevant documents (cover letter with indication of research
interests,
CV, publication list) and specifying the reference number of the
position shall
be sent both electronically and as a hardcopy to:

Exzellenzcluster Cognitive Interaction Technology
Prof. Dr. Helge Ritter
CITEC Geschäftsstelle
Universitätsstrasse 25, 33615 Bielefeld
Germany