[agents] SPINE Launched as an Open Source Project

Bellifemine Fabio Luigi fabioluigi.bellifemine at telecomitalia.it
Tue Jan 29 12:54:57 EST 2008

Dear JADE friends,

as some of you already knows, in 2006 I left to Giovanni the management
of the JADE Project as I was asked by the company to lead another
Research Project of Telecom Italia focused on the Wireless Sensor
Networks Technology. As one of the results of this new project - why not
- I convinced again my management to launch a new Open Source Project,
SPINE, addressing this different domain and technology. Same license
(LGPL), same ambitions and strategic challenges (a seed to gather the
efforts of a scientific community), same web interface to make life
easier to my old JADE friends ;-) and to make life easier to me who am
not good at designing new web interfaces.

Version 1.0 of the SPINE Framework is now available for download at
http://spine.tilab.com <http://spine.tilab.com/>

SPINE stands for Signal Processing In Node Environment and it is a
software framework for the design and implementation of Body Sensor
Network (BSN) applications. It provides Tiny-OS developers with on node
signal processing capabilities, utilities and data processing functions.
It also provide a set of APIs in Java to enable discovery of nodes and
node capabilities in a Wireless Sensor Network, management of the
network, gathering and processing of data captured by available sensors,
and automatic recognition and inference of events such as postures and
movements. SPINE enables also to deal with a Sensor Network composed of
nodes with different types, different sensing capabilities, and
different signal processing capabilities.

A white paper of SPINE is here attached for your consideration.

The SPINE team is going to present this first release of the framework
and to show some demos in the e-health domain at the EWSN08
<http://www.ewsn.org>  (http://www.ewsn.org), the European Conference on
Wireless Sensor Networks, in Bologna, Italy.

I would be pleased to see some of you involved in the SPINE project and
I am already analyzing with Giovanni possible ways to liaise with the
JADE community.

Fabio.

P.S. Apologize if you receive multiple copies of this message.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This message and its attachments are addressed solely to the persons above and may contain confidential information. If you have received the message in error, be informed that any use of the content hereof is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete the message. Should you have any questions, please contact us by replying to webmaster at telecomitalia.it.

        Thank you

                                        www.telecomitalia.it