[agents] IJAOSE special issue on Holonic Multi-Agent Systems

hilaire vincent.hilaire at utbm.fr
Wed Sep 9 02:24:43 EDT 2009

Special issue on Holonic Multi-Agent Systems
of the International Journal of Agent-Oriented Software Engineering
guest editors: M. Cossentino (ICAR/CNR, Palermo),V. Hilaire (UTBM,
Belfort),  A. Koukam (UTBM, Belfort), R. Mandiau (UVHC, Valenciennes)

Complex Systems are characterized by a large number of entities in
interaction, exhibiting emergent behaviors. Nobel Laureate Herbert Simon
states:
"Empirically a large proportion of the complex systems we observe in
nature exhibit hierarchic structure. On theoretical grounds we could
expect complex systems to be hierarchies in a world in which complexity
had to evolve from simplicity." Simon (1996)
This asseveration about real-world Complex Systems raises the question,
if nature has selected this path, should scientists trying to model
Complex Systems privilege it too? In 1967 Arthur Koestler coined the
term holon as an attempt to conciliate holistic and reductionist visions
of the world. A holon represents a part-whole construct that can be seen
as a component of a higher level system or as whole composed of other
holons as substructures. This concept has proved to be successful in
number of industrial domains such as manufacturing, real-time control,
supply chain management, resource allocation, production
planning/scheduling, air traffic, ….
Multi-Agent Systems (MAS) also stand out as a paradigm for the design of
Complex Systems. Indeed, this paradigm proposes new strategies for the
analysis, modelling and implementation of such systems. Its elementary
constituents are called "agents", i.e. software entities which exhibit
autonomous and flexible behaviours. Holonic Multi-Agent Systems (HMAS)
descend from the adoption of both the MAS and the holon concepts in a
novel approach. In HMAS, agents are looked at under a recursive or
composed perspective thus providing a novel paradigm for managing,
modelling and supporting complex systems.
In this special issue we are interested in these hierarchical structures
applied to the analysis and modelling of Complex Systems. More
precisely, we explore the requirements and consequences of modelling
complex systems using holonic multi-agent approaches.

The aim of this special issue is to review on HMAS and to compare MAS
and HMAS and to bring some light on what problems need a hierarchical
structure (in the Simon sense) to be solved. Eventually, we aim to
refine these solutions by studying which models, platforms and languages
are fitted for HMAS.
To summarize, specific topics of interest include (but are not limited to):
- Theoretical differences and similarities between the concept of holons
and agents
- Holonic multi-agent organization
- Standardization issues, communication and interactions models
- Methodologies and frameworks for modelling HMAS,
- Platforms and Languages
- Applications and tools for implementation/simulation of HMAS
- Formal approaches for HMAS

Authors are invited to submit research contributions or critiques of
practical experience. Papers (in English) should not exceed 20 pages in
IJAOSE format . All papers are refereed through a double review for
publication in the International Journal of Agent-Oriented Software
Engineering  (IJAOSE).

IMPORTANT DATES
* Deadline for submissions: December 1, 2009
* Notifications: March 1, 2010
* Deadline for revisions: May 1, 2010
* Publication: Begin 2011

Please contact the guest editors with any queries:
* Vincent Hilaire, UTBM, France –  vincent.hilaire at utbm.fr
* René Mandiau, UVHC, France – rene.mandiau at univ-valenciennes.fr
* M. Cossentino, CNR, Italy – cossentino at pa.icar.cnr.it
*A. Koukam, UTBM, France – abder.koukam at utbm.fr